End Cards

End Cards

My project for this week was making end cards, both for my own channel and the gaming channel I’m part of. I’d seen similar cards on various other YouTube channels, and really wanted to try one out myself. Despite expecting a complicated process, it was surprisingly simple to get a basic card ready.

While it is probably possible to make the entire card inside Vegas Movie Studio (my software of choice), I wasn’t sure how to go about that, so instead made the basic layout (top) as a Photoshop image. The background came from experimenting with layering two blurred gradients over each other with partial opacity; while it was simple to make in the first place, I’ve had no luck trying to recreate exactly what I did. After exporting this still from PS as a 10-second video -a really useful feature that I wish I’d looked up earlier!- I used Vegas to add the video clips.

The white circles around the text were present in the PS image, but were mostly invisible because the video windows kept rendering as white instead of transparent. That was, however, the only technical issue I had making these. A simple project for once!

Before  making my cards, I sketched out ideas for layouts, and was lucky that the first idea I actually made in software worked.

When it came to the second card, for the gaming clan, we needed a lot more revising and experimenting.The first problem we came across was colour choice; while my channel uses fairly muted blues and purples, the gaming channel colour scheme is vibrant blue and bright green. This can make logos and visual elements difficult, as carrying across that brightness can often create an eyesore or come across as childish/amateurish.

The first draft for the gaming channel, which turned out far brighter than intended so appeared childish.

That’s exactly what happened with the first draft.

After this draft, I switched back to using the gradient blur approach I used on my own card, which was much easier on our eyes.Then we needed to find how to include the dragon (a consistent logo element) into the card despite its similarity to the background. Eventually, we tried running with the similarity, with a dragon more subtly emerging from the background.

Finally, all we needed was the video

boxes. We decided on using bright orange as the strongest available contrast, then finally set up the video boxes. As multiple people upload videos to the channel on different schedules, we can’t always share resources or keep our ideas in line.  Therefore we decided on two “Random Video” boxes that required changing only the annotations, rather than “Last Video” boxes that would need to be continually updated.

The  final card, with a new font
and contrasting video windows.

Aesthetically, I prefer the card for my personal channel, as I had a better idea of the look I wanted to see, and got to try out more new ideas in making the card.

However, I’m really happy with the gaming channel background, mostly because of the process; it was interesting having to work to the idea in someone else’s mind, and needing to make revisions, send them, and
take his feedback.

That’s a process I don’t often get to
take part in, as I’m not yet at a level where I can  look for projects and take on challenges from people other than my friends/ channel members. It’s also a process and a way of working that I’ll need to be used to when I go back to uni and hopefully get to take on more creative tasks with other people.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s